We are now able to provide COVID-19 antibody and direct virus testing.
SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19.
Direct virus testing for SARS-CoV-2 and antibodies for SARS-CoV-2 are not available everywhere.
We are able to offer both tests to our patients.
Currently, we lack perfectly clear guidance from the CDC on how to interpret the results of the antibody test. However, the result of the virus test is easily interpreted with clear guidelines on how the proceed based on that result.
With regard to antibody test, there is some evidence that having a positive IgG lends antibody itself to at least short-term immunity for that particular strain of SARS-CoV-2. Unfortunately, we do not know how much (i.e. the titer) of IgG specific to SARS-CoV-2 is needed to provide that immunity.
It is becoming more and more likely that such immunity is only temporary.
Further, it is important for you to understand that like influenza, SARS-CoV-2 is a virus. And as such, mutations are expected. In fact, there are several currently known mutations of SARS-CoV-2 around the world.
So, just because you have developed IgG antibodies to one strain does not mean you will be immune to another strain.
WE USE THE HIGHEST SENSITIVITY TEST AVAILABLE for antibody testing. This is the one created by Roche and is processed by Sunrise laboratories.
What we can tell you if your IgG is positive
- You have been exposed to the virus.
- You were exposed 7 or more days ago.
- You MAY be acutely contagious and should isolate immediately and get a definitive PCR test.
Direct Virus Testing
We also use the best test available for positive predictive value and negative predictive value.
Our office can arrange both tests in our own facility.
We have staff dedicated to facilitating the ordering of your antibody test.
A video televisit is required to do this.
To initiate the process, please do the following:
- Click “Search Provider” and enter either “Datta”, “Gelman” or “Barr”
2. You can then click next and choose any location in the menu.
3. On the appointment type dropdown choose “COVID-19 Antibody Request”
4. An appoint will be made from there just like any other video televisit appointment.
5. The provider will do a brief interview and screening and will order the test. You will need to come to one of our office for bloodwork. The provider may ask you to also do a virus test to be sure you are not currently infected.