Nexplanon: contraceptive implant
Maiden Lane Medical – Nexplanon: contraceptive implant
Nexplanon, commonly known as the contraceptive implant, is a small plastic rod that is embedded under the skin in your upper arm.
Nexplanon works as a contraceptive by ‘drip-feeding’ the hormone progestogen into the bloodstream.
The implant is effective for up to 3 years and can be administrated at any of our Maiden Lane Medical centers located around greater New York City.
Nexplanon at a glance.
- Nexplanon is more than 99% effective.
- Once implanted there is no further action need until its time for renewal
- It does not affect estrogen levels.
- It is well suited to women who have difficulty remembering to take the contraceptive pill.
- It can easily be taken out at short notice.
- Natural fertility returns very quickly after having the implant.
- Your period regularity may alter or become heavier/lighter.
- Some medications can reduce the implant’s effectiveness.
- Nexplanon does not protect you from STI’s or STD’s
How does Nexplanon work?
The Nexplanon implant works by releasing progestogen steadily into the bloodstream. This hormone prevents ovulation.
The implant also thickens cervical mucus, making it harder for sperm to work its way through to the cervix.
When it starts to work
Although the implant can be administered at any time, if it is fitted after the first 5 days of your menstrual cycle, you will be required to still use other forms of contraceptive for the subsequent 7 days. Protection is immediate if fitted during the first 5 days of your cycle, before day 21 of giving birth, and
immediately after an abortion or miscarriage.
How is a contraceptive implant fitted or removed?
The Nexplanon implant is an incredibly quick and painless procedure. First, a local anesthetic will be applied to the upper arm to numb the area, then your doctor or nurse will ‘inject’ the small flexible rod just under your skin.
The incision is slightly bigger than a typical injection, but there will be no need for stitches and any bleeding will subside relatively quickly.
After 3 years, it will be time to have your implant removed. This process is equally straight forward that involves a minimal incision and removal via a tweezer-like instrument.
Advantages and disadvantages of the implant
- It lasts for 3 years
- Is not intrusive of your sex life
- Is a good alternative to estrogen-based contraception
- Safe for use during breastfeeding
- Quick return to regular fertility
- It can offer relief to heavy/painful periods
- Some people experience initial side effects, including headaches, nausea, and depression.
- Periods can stop entirely.
- Might make you more prone to spots.
- It offers no protection from STIs or STDs.
Will other medicines affect the implant?
Some medications have been found to make the Nexplanon implant less effective; these include HIV medicine, some antibiotics, and ‘complementary’ remedies, such as St Johns Wort.
Always consult your doctor if you are required to take other medications/prescriptions. If any are thought to interfere with the effectiveness of your chosen contraceptive, Maiden Lane medical will always try our hardest to suggest suitable alternatives.
Risks of the implant
There are very few risks associated with the Nexplanon implant, and very few women experience any negative side effects of the contraceptive.
There is a small risk of infection from the incision made during administration or removal, but this can be easily cleared up with antibiotics.
The implant is placed in the inside of the upper arm, making it a very low-risk area for bumps and bruises. If, however, you do hurt yourself there, or you feel as if your implant has moved, been damaged or has misshapen, you should consult your doctor as soon as possible and refrain from having sexual
intercourse without other contraceptive precautions.
Where can I get a contraceptive implant fitted or removed?
The Nexplanon implant is a fantastic contraceptive option for most women. The procedure can be completed in a matter of minutes and lasts for up to 3 years.
The Nexplanon implant can be fitted at any of our Maiden Lane Medical centers located around the Greater New York City Area, Including Downtown, Midtown, Bay Ridge, Upper East Side, as well as our gynecology clinic in Soho.
Perfect Medical Services
Book an Appointment
We can help you plan for your future. Book a consultation today.