Medical Marijuana Specialist
Maiden Lane Medical
Multi-Specialty Group Practice located in New York, NY
Are you in pain? If so, medical marijuana is becoming a popular alternative to opioid prescription drugs for pain relief.
Our pain management physicians at Maiden Lane Medical in Manhattan, New York have a holistic and natural approach to pain relief. With the proper dosage and strain of this naturally occurring plant, our physicians can address your symptoms.
If you would like more information regarding this form of treatment, schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Zocca or Dr. Harris today!
What Is Medical Marijuana?
Medical marijuana (also known as medical cannabis) is used to describe the use of the marijuana plant, or its extracts, to treat symptoms of illness and pain.
How Does Medical Cannabis Make You Feel?
The way medical cannabis makes you feel will depend on several factors. Cannabis has hundreds of components, including the well-known psychoactive ingredient THC which can, in high quantities, make you feel “high”, as well as CBD which has pain-relieving properties without psychoactive effects.
Your physician can choose a strain, dosage, and delivery method that relieves your symptoms without making you feel like you are “high” or lethargic.
What Is Marijuana Used to Treat?
Medical Marijuana is used to treat many ailments, including the following:
- Chronic pain: injury, illness, or specific conditions
- Chronic conditions: osteoporosis, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, and more
- Mood disorders: depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Acute conditions: menstrual cramps, headaches, etc.
- Nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy, according to the National Cancer Institute
Side Effects of Medical Marijuana
The side effects of marijuana can include:
- Increased heart rate
- Distorted perceptions/Impaired reactions
- Temporary hallucinations
Risks and Benefits of Medical Marijuana
While medical marijuana is very safe to use, the risks include the following:
- Possible respiratory problems such as chronic cough or bronchitis
- If used while pregnant, it can affect the health and development of your baby
- The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports that using marijuana can be addictive. Your provider can suggest a dosage and an individualized treatment plan that is tailored to your needs in the safest and most effective way.
Have more questions?
Chat with us online! Use our webchat in the lower right hand of your screen
Medical Benefits of Medical Marijuana
Below you’ll find a list of some of the benefits of medical marijuana.
- Safe to use, and it is nearly impossible to overdose to the point of danger
- More tolerable than prescription drugs
- Little risk of physical dependency, resulting in a lower risk of withdrawal symptoms
How Is Medical Marijuana Administered?
Marijuana can be administered in a variety of forms, including:
- Liquid tincture
- Pill or gummies
- Dried leaves
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved using cannabis as a treatment for any medical conditions. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration also has concerns about the possible abuse of this drug and the lack of medical value. However, additional research is still being conducted.
You may wonder, “Is medical marijuana legal?”. While state medical marijuana laws vary, New York is one of the states that allow the use of marijuana. New York State has a certificate program that allows eligible residents to enroll and purchase medical-grade cannabis products under the supervision of a physician, such as Dr. Jennifer Zocca or Dr. Dena Harris.
If you want to learn more about how medical cannabis can help you, call or book an appointment online with Maiden Lane Medical in Manhattan, NY today! Our trained specialists are ready to provide you with the best pain-relief options for your circumstances.
Book an Appointment
Ready to find a doctor who cares? Book a consultation today.